.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
A Day in the Life of a Teenage Programmer
Monday, July 12, 2004
 
People Are Still Dumb
That has nothing to do with this article. I just wanted to make sure you didn't forget it.

After that last entry, I had nothing to do.... In fact, I didn't do any actual work for the rest of the day, now that I think about it....

So anyway, I tried to call Casey, but it appeared that his cell phone was off. Instead, I called my house. Talked to my sister for a while about absolutely nothing, just to kill time. Then she passed the phone off to my dad and I relayed him the correlation between the two guard-thing stories. That killed about a half-hour, and the Fire Commissioner's call coincided with my lunch break time. So I went to lunch. Saw the oh-so-nice guard guy on my way out the door, and he apologized for the morning. Except, his voice sounds the same whether he's angry or happy or kidding or whatever. So I said, "Yeah, OK." in as neutral a voice as possible and just kept walking. I had two Sicilian slices of pizza at Gino's. Nothing exciting.

I got back around 12:30 pm. Now, I can't remember the exact timeframe, but eventually Jaime got a call from the City Manager upstairs, as one of the City Council members needed a cell phone. None of the working cell phones had charged batteries, so that meant that he needed a matching charger. Anyway, Jaime's going all around looking for one.... Eventually, my favorite-person-in-the-whole-world walks in. Imagine that. Three times in one day. Apparently he knows where Jaime could find a charger or something. I don't know. But he told Jaime the story about that morning, apologized again, and shook my hand. I still don't like the guy, but I tried not to let it show. He's very odd—it's like he's a guy with girl's eyes. It's very strange. Anyway, it's hard to explain, and it's not important.

Moving along.... Jaime took his lunch about 40 minutes late. And he didn't leave me with anything to do. So, I talked on the phone with Casey (and Jimmy...) for over a half hour. But then Casey got hungry and left, and Jimmy hung up too. So, still bored, I called my house again. Talked to my mom this time, then my sister again. Then they put me on speakerphone. Poor puppy. He was hearing my voice and he didn't know where it was coming from. They said he was looking around for me. I told them to bring him with them when they came to pick me up (and they did). But then I had to go, because I actuall had some tech support to do.

It was only a file association problem, though. Someone was sent an attachment of a WordPerfect Document (WPD), but they didn't have WordPerfect on their computer. So, I looked up the extension (I wasn't positive what it was), and then I suggested opening it in Microsoft {ack!} Word. That worked already, so that was that.

After Jaime came back, there wasn't anything more to do. I started cleaning up my work area and stuff—making room, straightening things up, etc. I continued with that until I went home.

So, essentially, besides answering phones and giving a tiny bit of tech support (which I do online, for free, all the time), I haven't worked since 11:30 this morning. Which leads into something I forgot to mention within the timeframe: Jaime was finding out about my payroll or whatever you want to call it. It seems that whoever needs my paperwork didn't get it, so I'm not currently on the payroll. However, by now, I think things are (at least partially) straightened out. I'll find out tomorrow, I guess. (Jaime says it's not a big deal, since I wouldn't have gotten paid until the next cycle [or whatever word he used].)

Time Now: 5:32 PM

Comments:
That wasn't a parentheses/brackets thing.

And also, I'm confused about that last part. What does YAD mean?
 
Post a Comment



← Home

This blog represents the views and opinions of Gordon P. Hemsley and he is solely responsible for its content.
All content copyright © 2004-2005 Gordon P. Hemsley, unless otherwise noted.